Our History

Historical Highlights of Brighton Park Baptist Church

The journey of Brighton Park Baptist Church began on May 24, 1953.  Through the support of Morgan Avenue Baptist Church as its mission-sponsoring church; a group of people began meeting first in a home and then moved to the Blanche Moore school building for the summer.    

On August 23, 1953, Trinity Baptist Church met on the sawdust floor of the new tabernacle for the first time.  Then in August of 1954, the first foundation was poured at 4825 Everhart and work was begun on the new building, the first phase of the Trinity facilities.  Ground breaking ceremonies for the second phase of the building occurred on March 20, 1958, and the new educational space was soon completed.

A Message from Your Pastor (B. Linn Self)
“Trinity Baptist Church is a fellowship of believers.  Sometimes we mistakenly think of a church as something made of brick and mortar or perhaps a conglomeration of denominational programs.  But Trinity Baptist Church is people.  People who believe in Jesus Christ, the only Son of God and the only Hope of men, our own personal Lord and Savior.  People who, in the joy and enthusiasm of that faith, fellowship together.  If there is anything unique about us it is that we ‘love one another.’  We want to cement our relationships with one another…”

On May 22, 1983, Trinity Baptist Church relocated to the current site at 3418 Airline Road .  At this time, the name was changed to Brighton Park Baptist Church to reflect the new location and new beginning.

“Today, we behold the work of a gracious God.  However, He is not through with this church by a long shot.  The future belongs to those who by faith follow the Lord.  The history of a church never outshines its future.  Amen!” 
Leadership of Don Richey; March 11, 1984

On August 15, 2004, members of Gardendale Baptist Church and members from BPBC joined together for a combined membership of 232 people. 

Heath Peloquin was called to Brighton Park on January 1, 2006, and served as senior pastor until February 5, 2012.  Pastor Heath continually reminded us that “God put us at Brighton Park Baptist Church to be a bright light in a dark world.”

On March 2, 2014, Stanley Duke from Oxford, Alabama was called to be Senior Pastor of Brighton Park Baptist Church and is currently serving in that capacity. 

Pastors:

 

Rev. R. P. Odom, Interim Pastor

May 24, 1953 - October, 1953

Rev. E. McCoy Bynum
(1st Pastor)

November 1, 1953 - May, 1969

Rev. B. Linn Self

March 1, 1970 - 1981

Bro. Don Richey

May, 1981 – 1985

Bro. Richard Worden

1985 - 1995

Bro. William (Bill) Hitt

1995 - 2004

Bro. Orman Gwynn,
Interim Pastor

August, 2004 - 2005

Pastor Heath Peloquin

Pastor Stanley Duke

January 1, 2006 - February 5, 2012

March 2, 2014 - to present